One week down, plenty wearing shorts
Well, the first week is done.
This last day wasn't as intense, because there were two student presentations (which we didn't have to prepare for) and two sessions to discuss topics from the first week. This sort of open-ended discussion didn't work that well, but it was alright, and it was probably nonetheless good to have some extra discussion since there has been very little time during the sessions.
Tonight there is a dinner for everyone involved in the course. That should be fun. And then on Sunday there is a group boat trip up to the Danube bend, which is supposed to be quite pretty, stopping in this old Serbian city which his supposed to be cute and a bit of an artist enclave right now.
Well, that's about it. I've had trouble getting work done during the week on top of all of the other activities. I'm hoping to get some done today, since it is a bit less intense of a day, and to stay in at the dorm on Saturday and get work done. I am not very well prepared for next week. I will have next weekend to be a tourist.
I have met a number of other quite interesting people. There is a Greek guy from Oxford, Angelos, who seems quite insightful. He is working on Origen, a 3rd Century AD chap from Alexandria whose work is mostly untranslated (and who has a gigantic corpus). He seems extremely sharp and is doing extremely difficult textual work. There are a couple of interesting people associated with Cambridge. One is another Greek, Georgia, who is going to Cambridge (from a master's at Humboldt) to work on Hellenistic philosophy. Our philosophical instincts seem similar. But (and this a theme), her ancient Greek is much better. I have also been hanging out with these two Brits, one from Newcastle working on Aristotle's Ethics and another from Imperial in London working on Ancient Science. In general, the social groups seem porous and interesting -- I'm liking it a lot.
On a slightly different note, there have been a couple of things I've wanted to mention about the Hungarians. One is that they wear shorts! I brought lightweight long pants to Budapest, despite wearing shorts in the US, because my impression was that shorts seem juvenile in Europe. But many of the locals here wear shorts. Somehow it feels connected to me to the more laid back atmosphere here, but that could be because people wearing shorts reminds me of home. Somehow the men seem to me to dress pretty informally and in a thrown together fashion, but the women in general seem pretty carefully put together.
Well, that's about it.
-- David
This last day wasn't as intense, because there were two student presentations (which we didn't have to prepare for) and two sessions to discuss topics from the first week. This sort of open-ended discussion didn't work that well, but it was alright, and it was probably nonetheless good to have some extra discussion since there has been very little time during the sessions.
Tonight there is a dinner for everyone involved in the course. That should be fun. And then on Sunday there is a group boat trip up to the Danube bend, which is supposed to be quite pretty, stopping in this old Serbian city which his supposed to be cute and a bit of an artist enclave right now.
Well, that's about it. I've had trouble getting work done during the week on top of all of the other activities. I'm hoping to get some done today, since it is a bit less intense of a day, and to stay in at the dorm on Saturday and get work done. I am not very well prepared for next week. I will have next weekend to be a tourist.
I have met a number of other quite interesting people. There is a Greek guy from Oxford, Angelos, who seems quite insightful. He is working on Origen, a 3rd Century AD chap from Alexandria whose work is mostly untranslated (and who has a gigantic corpus). He seems extremely sharp and is doing extremely difficult textual work. There are a couple of interesting people associated with Cambridge. One is another Greek, Georgia, who is going to Cambridge (from a master's at Humboldt) to work on Hellenistic philosophy. Our philosophical instincts seem similar. But (and this a theme), her ancient Greek is much better. I have also been hanging out with these two Brits, one from Newcastle working on Aristotle's Ethics and another from Imperial in London working on Ancient Science. In general, the social groups seem porous and interesting -- I'm liking it a lot.
On a slightly different note, there have been a couple of things I've wanted to mention about the Hungarians. One is that they wear shorts! I brought lightweight long pants to Budapest, despite wearing shorts in the US, because my impression was that shorts seem juvenile in Europe. But many of the locals here wear shorts. Somehow it feels connected to me to the more laid back atmosphere here, but that could be because people wearing shorts reminds me of home. Somehow the men seem to me to dress pretty informally and in a thrown together fashion, but the women in general seem pretty carefully put together.
Well, that's about it.
-- David

1 Comments:
There's a serious lank of rankings going on.
Post a Comment
<< Home